The New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) is recognized as the world’s leading medical journal and website. Published continuously for over 200 years, NEJM delivers high-quality, peer-reviewed research and interactive clinical content to physicians, educators, researchers, and the global medical community.
Today, NEJM is the most widely read, cited, and influential general medical periodical in the world. More than 600,000 people from nearly every country read NEJM in print and online each week.
Each year, NEJM receives more than 16,000 research and other submissions for consideration for publication. About 5% of original research submissions achieve publication by NEJM; more than half originate from outside the U.S.
NEJM is cited more often in scientific literature than any other medical journal, and has the highest Journal Impact Factor (74.699) of all general medical journals (2019 Journal Impact Factor, Journal Citation Reports, Source Clarivate, 2020).
NEJM is a Public Access journal. All original research content is freely available on NEJM.org six months after the date of publication. In addition, readers in qualifying low-income countries are granted free access to all articles on NEJM.org dating back to 1990. The editors also make articles that meet the criteria for global and public health importance free to all readers immediately upon publication on NEJM.org.
With the creation of a free NEJM.org account, readers have additional options for free access to published content, including the choice of any three subscriber-only articles (from 1990 to present) each calendar month, articles coordinated with medical meetings during the meeting, unlimited views of Images in Clinical Medicine and Quick Take videos, and more.
Our subscription to NEJM empowers you to:
- Explore all NEJM.org content from 1990–present.
- Dive deep into the NEJM Archive (1812–1989) with 50 free online article views.
- Access 20 free NEJM Weekly CME activities, choosing from 350+ Weekly CME exams and Interactive Medical Case e-learning modules across a wide variety of medical specialties.
- Download multimedia-enhanced, interactive issues of NEJM on your iPad, which enables on-the-go reading, sharing, and annotation of all NEJM content.
- View Videos in Clinical Medicine — concise reviews of common medical procedures.
- Access premium rotation content on NEJM Resident 360. opens in a new tab — a website and community discussion platform designed to help physicians-in-training build and solidify foundational medical knowledge.
- Tune in to audio versions of NEJM Clinical Practice Articles and transform exercise, eating, and commuting into valuable educational experiences.
- Turn NEJM images, illustrations, tables, and entire articles into PowerPoint slides or fully-cited article decks with just a single screen tap or click.
- Save articles and article searches and track completion of NEJM Weekly CME activities with your personalized NEJM Account.